5.30.2006

PA Wisdom

Been catching up on my PA....things that amused/interested me:

"In reality, Microsoft's "win" is a composite of several factors, not the least of which is the haughty and ridiculous performance of their primary competitor."

"Remember how in KOTOR, the camera would show their face, and then it would show your face, and then it would show their face, and there were about five faces total for the entire universe? We put up with it because it was Star Wars, and it was well-written"

"did I mention that you can download new planets off Live? - they have essentially hot glued some of the most boring combat I've ever seen. It might just have been that performance wasn't quite there, but there was nothing visceral about this over-the-shoulder shooting. And just when I thought it couldn't feel more clunky or less satisfying, they showed us how I could pause the combat and then move each of my two teammates into open, exposed areas on either side of my enemies by giving each a separate, slow command. They're asking questions that Brothers in Arms or Full Spectrum Warrior have already answered, and with greater eloquence. I didn't think the combat in Knights of the Old Republic was particularly great, but then I had a customized lightsaber. I buy into the new universe, I really do want to go there. But that combat is definitely some Action Game 101 type shit, and we're past it."

"No less than four times over the course of our playing the Guilty Gear series did we realize that we had been playing it entirely wrong, that there was a game of greater subtlety beneath the grotesque and demonstrative exhibitions."


" I should tell you that, as a general rule, the games did not look amazing. The Cube was rarely made to sing as it did in Resident Evil 4 or Crystal Chronicles, but it was capable of bold feats that were rarely coaxed out of it."

"I am an observer of that scene. As such, I can with a glad heart make what I consider to be rational decisions about where a thousand dollars might go. I'm complaining about the US price, now - our friends in the old country are in for even more
savage treament. No. It is very clear that they assume we will purchase whatever gunmetal loaf they flop down on the slab. With a song on my lips, I defy them."

"The question that comes up a lot in the office is how do you beat World of Warcraft? We think the answer is, fairly clearly, "With World of Starcraft" - but we've never been called particularly imaginative. The other way, it would appear, is to cast a net so wide it simply cannot be escaped."

There you have it folks......Thank you to Tycho of PA.

Yukino out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home