1.05.2006

Attempting some structure

It won't work of course, but I was contemplating trying to give structure to the blog. Like Mondays are pictures/scans day, Wednesdays are anime review days (when I get to watching something).....it won't work most likely, and it will take away all the interesting randomness of my life, but I think there ought still be random posts and musings. As that's the way my brain works. However! One thing I do know for sure is that we at Spicy Marmalade (that's right WE....welcome to my Bri who will be joining me on occasion for the new feature) are proud to bring you.......manga review Fridays by none other than the duke and duchess of anime, manga, and crazy schemes.......Brian Hagen and myself. Yes....as I am Master of the Universe and I have declared us the authority on such things........we will be giving you our opinions of things. Which will probably consist of Brian giving you actual literary analysis as best you can with manga (or at the very least well thought out and insightful analysis) while I talk about how it made me feel and which guy I think is the hottest. Ahh yes....such is my mind. First up for review.....BECK!!! Until they take the scans down from our online site that is.

Other things that may come up.....H2 (it's about baseball, and dear God do we love baseball. Put baseball together with anime and I think Bri-kun and I may be in heaven---or whatever it is we think heaven would be), and G Senjou Heaven's Door which has 2 volumes completed in scans and I have no idea what it's about as all I heard from Hagen was.....download it, it's only 2 volumes so far.

In anime news, since why not start today. Steph and I are close to finishing RahXephon and it was supposed to happen tonight, but it didn't (by tonight I mean Wednesday....because it may be 3AM here, but it's still Wednesday to me). So that will happen tomorrow, so you may get a 2 for 1 review this week. Today's review will be short though.

1. I've been rewatching Fruits Basket. (HAHA that review rocks. Completely agree on the comment about white snakes and the part at the end where they say if you don't like happy stories go watch Evangelion. Again...way to go THEM anime) I forget how amazing it is until I watch it start to finish instead of random episodes. It's SO CUTE though and it really does remind me of Brian and happy times. And whenever I hear the theme song I look out in my living room and remember sitting in that very same living room when it looked a bit different and being SO happy. And also...the more I watch, the more I love Shigure and Hatori. Hari (Hatori) is my new love I think. His episode (though one I used to not like very much) really makes me appreciate him. A lot. Hari's got a tough job and he's in a tough spot all the time. And so he has decided that he will remain emotionless so as not to get hurt again, but he doesn't want to be like that, he's just afraid of what will happen. Ok...so probably if you haven't watched this series none of it makes sense to you right now. But it really is amazing and the manga is even more amazing. And I still don't know if in the end Tohru will end up with Yuki or Kyo. And now I don't know which one I want her to end up with. At any rate, if you haven't had any experience with this series and you don't completely despise shoujou (not just the shoujou stereotype and not just because you think it makes you cool to not like shoujou) I recommend trying it. And remember that the first disc and sort of even the second disc are very cutsey and not a ton of character development in depth is done. The second half of that series really makes it what it is. And I love it for reasons that no one else besides my Kyo-kyo can understand, so if you don't love it like I do I understand. Just don't make fun of it or me because you don't like it. Because it means the world to me.

2. On a lighter and much more ridiculous note....Yakitate! Japan. It's about making bread. It sounds terrible probably and I know that Brian started watching this and then stopped after about half of the first season because he found it too ridiculous and weird, but I really like it. It does make me want to bake bread if I watch it for too long, and it's not something that I keep...it's a definite watch and delete series, but it is entertaining. Premise is that there's a kid (Azuma Kazuma) who likes to bake bread and is bent on creating a bread that can be associated with Japan (like there's french bread, and Italian bread)....which he calls Japan. Pan being the Japanese word for bread. Anyhow, when he's young he meets a baker who teaches him the art of bread, but then the baker moves to Tokyo to work for Pantasia which is the main bakery chain. Azuma goes to Tokyo to get a job at Pantasia, but he's pretty much an idiot who has special talent for bread and he ends up working at the Southern Tokyo branch which is a really small branch with the girl who owns it, another guy who pretends to be Azuma's rival but is really his friend, the crazy ass manager, and this random other guy who always gets left out. It's not a quality series by any means, but it is funny...very funny and Azuma is pretty much just ridiculous. And there is a lot of squaring off breadmaking competition. It's all in good fun. Check it out if you want......there's a hella lot of episodes, I just started the second season but I think the latest torrent I saw was at like 52 or something like that. I have NO IDEA how this series can go on that long, but I will keep casually watching as long as it holds my interest. I linked to some real reviews, so you can read the opinions of people who most likely think this stuff through way more than I do. And definitely articulate it better. (blogger note: the review link ISN'T great cause THEM didn't review it....and while I was finding that one I learned that they made this a video game for Nintendo DS and I want to play it but I don't have a DS so someone take pity on Hagen and I and find a way for us to play!!!)

Alright.....that's what I've got for the time being. I'll let you know what I think of RahXephon upon it's completion tomorrow. Probably. Friday will be Hagen and I with a review of volume 1 of Beck (which he already read) and likely some random side commentary and verbal bashing and abuse of one another through the use of text. All for the amusement of you, the reader.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home