9.07.2005

It Must Be the Girl in Me

So...sometimes I do act like a real girl. There was a time not so long ago that I would have punched anyone who even suggested such a thing as hard as I could in whatever I knew would hurt the most, but now I can admit it. I can be girly. But you have to be....cause that's part of the sexy charm of my nerd ways. Ok...so it probably is really really hot that I play baseball and I like fighting games and I want to learn aikido and kendo. (Aikido class Thursday 7:30-8:30 btw!!) However, no guy, no matter HOW big of a nerd, wants a girl that acts like a guy. Especially if he is one of the lesser athletically or fighting or manly inclined sort of nerd guys. Cause then I'm more of a guy than him.....and that's just not healthy for anyone. Girls need to be girls....it's the nature of the universe I suppose.

Any rate, what I WANTED to talk about is If I See You in My Dreams TV. Ok....I'm a girl. Because I LIKE this series. And it really is as bad as the THEM review in the link says. Interestingly enough though...I didn't make the EVER SO OBVIOUS connection between Masuo and Keitaro until I read it in the review. Yep....I'm a dumbass. But I liked Love Hina too...I really really liked Love Hina. And so did Hagen...so there, it isn't just me. I think that it's because I see a lot of the bumbling awkward qualities that even a non-socially awkward, relatively good looking, and fairly self-confident nerd girl like me has when it comes to talking to the person I have a crush on. As in...I FREAK OUT. It's totally like that. I do, however, agree that 7 minute episodes was a TERRIBLE way to go about this series because it really is the same plot line over and over and over every 7 minutes. However...I did watch 6 episodes consecutively. I think though, that this series and the 7 minute repeat cycle was made better for me by the fact that I first saw the OVA (which is good cause that comes first and you might be totally lost if you hadn't). I REALLY like the OVA. The first time I saw it (I RENTED it even), it really made me relate to it. And that's the kind of anime I like. Same as my music (which the elitist bastards of the music scene also look down on me for because they and their crappy stereotypes don't have anything better to do with their time while they're too busy being elitists to have any friends to hang out with). I like things a lot better when I can relate to the feeling or identify with one of the characters. That's who I am. It doesn't make me any better or worse than anyone else. The OVA (and the series) are fairly old, so they do have all the qualities of a 90's love story, but I don't think it's terrible. Especially if you are a girl. Or an extremely socially awkward male. But if you have a complex (or a fear that you will be less of a man or lose your pretentious authoritative position in the anime world and be snubbed by all your nerd friends who feel that they are now better than you because they only watch mecha, magical girl, sci-fi, and martial arts anime and thus are 'purists') then you will hate this on principal. I say...in the anime world, keep an open mind. No one is better than ANYONE in this game.....being an elitist snob about it isn't going to get you anywhere. You're still looked down upon by 95% of the population.....and the best of the elitist nerd group is probably the kid that got beat up the most in school. So......I haven't watched anime since I was 2, I haven't seen all the afforementioned 'purist' series and I definitely haven't liked all the ones I have watched, I LIKE SHOUJOU ANIME. I watch what I like....this doesn't make you better than me. And in the end.....at least I can get a date.

Ok....I needed to get that off my chest. And I needed to do it here in a safe harbor rather than in an entire room full of people, many of whom are very similar to the ones I was just ranting about. In other words.....I needed to say it here in my own personal space where I have the right to say whatever the hell is on my mind rather than having it come out loudly and angrily in a semi-hostile environment where it would ruin the happiness of a night of watching anime. I'm ok now. For now.....we'll see if that continues to the end of the week.

Bottom line....watch it if you want. Everything on this site is entirely my opinion. I accept that in many cases you will not feel the same way. Not everyone likes the same things. And that's ok. No one is better than anyone else because they like something different. And if you can't get past that.....well....here at Spicy Marmalade we preach tolerance.

"Tolerating someone doesn't mean you have to like them. It just means you have to put up with it." --South Park, Tolerance Camp

Vanish into the night
~Sari

PS.....I'm going to be fixing links in previous posts in case you care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home