10.10.2005

A New Trend Perhaps??

I seem to have moved into a new place in the anime world as well as the real world. Though I'm very confident that the old world still very much exists inside of me. At any rate....the new thread of things to watch seems to involve good beings and humans co-existing and either the good beings go bad or there are alternate bad beings and either (in the latter case) the good beings, or some of the bad beings that resisted whatever set them off to going bad fighting against the bad beings in epic battle. Usually there is soul eating and human eating and things like this going on. It all started with Serenity.....and now here we are.

First...Saiyuki. I like Saiyuki. I've been reading the manga. I wasn't so keen on it after the first book, but Steph and Bri were SO into it that I gave it the benefit of the doubt. The second book held my interest much more. And it left me hanging in suspense for the third. Which I intended to read today but didn't. It shall be done. Any rate....Sayiuki is a remake of an old Chinese story that involves a pretty boy "Buddhist priest" who has the highest order of the priests but doesn't practice and instead is to quote Brian Hagen "hard drinking, hard smoking, gun toting". And his 3 companions who are all members of the race gone bad who wear power limiters and take human form and are trying to find the source of the power behind whatever is making them evil and destroy it. I'm not very far into it....but yeah, seems to be in that vein. And the boys are pretty. Although the prettiest one is supposed to be the priest, Sanzo (and when I took the online quiz about which one was for me that's who I got), I gotta think I'm partial to either Gojyo or Hakkai. We'll see if that changes as the story progresses.

Second...Bleach. On a Hagen recommendation of something that wasn't shoujo (though it's still pretty character centered thus far....I don't know how far out of the shoujo realm it falls) I obtained the first season of Bleach. I watched the first 2 episodes today. Not bad really, even though it's historically not my "thing". If I have a "thing". Premise....the scary badass 15 year old hs boy (who resembles Kyo Sohma) whose family owns the town clinic where sometimes people die can see ghosts. So can the rest of the family. He sometimes helps them, especially little kids. He sees this girl (very reminiscent of Natsuki from Mai HiME) who helps slay this huge monster thing that appears to be attacking this little girl ghost he helps. Turns out she's a "Death god" which is something like the grim reaper of sorts. And there are "plus souls" and some other kinda soul that I don't remember right now and she sends the good ones to heaven and she kills the bad ones with her badass katana skillz. So...turns out the bad soul monster things are really after the guy and the only way to save his family is if she turns him into a death god too. So then....he kills the thing and he's a death god and now he has to kill the monster things. But he doesn't want to follow orders...he just wants to help the people he wants. Yeah...that's where I am on that one now. Seems interesting at least.....there's a shit ton lot of it, so apparently other people like it. Though.....there's a shit ton lot of Tenchi too and ain't no one watching that.

Alright....that's the series as they stand. Also...been watching Yakitate! Japan. Not something I'll keep and watch again, but it's holding my interest at least.

Yep....and to quote my friend Paul telling me that his little brother would love it if I would IM him to talk about anime:

Paul is Crazy: you know the ways of the anime
Paul is Crazy: you are like the Jedi master-he is but the padawan

Apparently people like what I gots to say. It feels good to be in the know. I remain....Master of the Universe. Or so says my facebook.

Until next time....
Your faithful anime watcher and reviewer,
Sari-kun

8 Comments:

Blogger Queen Jezebel the Wicked said...

I am a great fan of both. I too had doubts abt Saiyuki after the first book, but the glowing reviews from Steph kept me on track. I finished book 6 abt a week or 2 ago and am now looking to purchase the next ones.

I wonder tho, if I should give the book buying a rest, since I'm gonna want to bring them home with me, and between the video games and the vintage clothing, i'm not so sure my little toyota-corolla-ingognito-as-chevy-prism has enough trunk space.

Then again, with the uncertainty of Andy's situation right now, I may not be leaving permanently for a few more months . . . :S Yeah, we'll see how that goes.

Anyways, bleach manga and anime can be found for free online at bleachportal.net I started on the manga, which is really good, but in some cases the anime does a better job providing background of the characters. My recommendation for the best bleach experience is that you read/watch both.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Ubiquitous Leader SK said...

Wheee!!! free manga!!!!

I shall watch! I may be the pro at getting free anime....but you could take me in a free manga contest ANY DAY Jess.

Also....I hope you get to come see us!! We miss you!!!!!!!! It's not fair that California gets to have all our fun!

12:36 AM  
Blogger Queen Jezebel the Wicked said...

just 2 more months, and the party will be back in Wisconsin. ;)

just wanted to add that i am totally in agreement abt the superior hotness (albeit by a small margin) of Gojyo and Hakkai vs. Sanzo--Hakkai for his personality and Gojyo for being a halfie like me. Maaann, i wish I had red hair and eyes . . . how did I get stuck with pale and short?

1:18 PM  
Blogger Dragonslippers said...

***insert nerd comment here***


....you don't have red hair b/c you're not half-demon....hahaha

of "the boys" (note, "the boys" refers to "my boys" i.e. the saiyuki 4)....i have to say that Hakki placed #1 on my list after I found out his twisted past....with Gojyo a close sec b/c of his attitude and Sanzo a very close third....i go for the self-destructive/sacrificial types, myself.

Glad you girls stuck out the first/second novel and are enjoying the manga too....it still ranks on the top of my current list.

Speaking of manga.....anyone checked out Juvenile Orion? I've been eyeing it at Borders lately, mainly b/c of the artwork on the box you can buy, and also b/c i go for manga/anime with apocalyptic themes.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Ubiquitous Leader SK said...

Juvenile Orion = AWESOME. I only read the first 2. Brian took it away. WANT....MORE....

Do it Steph!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Ubiquitous Leader SK said...

Also...I wish you were a half demon Jess. That would rock.

I wish I had red hair and red eyes. Or..erm..I do have red hair. Interesting......

8:40 PM  
Blogger Queen Jezebel the Wicked said...

lol you gotta admit tho, being half-korean is pretty damn close to being half-demon.

John Meksavan has a term for my most endearing far-eastern trait:

THE KOREAN RAGE.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Ubiquitous Leader SK said...

Hmmm...John Meksavan always did have clever terms for things.

I think Brian would appreciate that. Being that he's now come to the complete realization that nearly all 12 year old Korean boys are really just the minions of satan.

You can be half demon if you want to. Remember....you can be whatever you want to be!

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home